Okay, so you wanna know how to make the “perfect” messy hair bun? Well, guess what? You can’t. The reason being is because the messy hair bun isn’t meant to be “perfect,” it’s supposed to be…well…”messy.”
What we can show you is the steps it takes to make a really cool fashionable and chic messy hair bun style, so are you ready? Let’s go!
You’ll love the messy hair bun style, even celebrities wear it–it’s also extremely popular and women, both young and old from all walks of life wear this stunning hairstyle. It’s simple, it’s stylish–it’s even sexy.
Here are 6 simple steps you need to take in order to pull this hairstyle off.
1. Mousse or Hair Serum. For the messy bun, you’ll need to use mousse or an inexpensive hair serum such as St. Ives Hair Replenishing No Frizz Serum. You don’t need to use a lot of it but start off by applying the serum to your hair’s ends.
2. Get Your Hair Brush. Take a simple hair brush and comb your hair back at the top. The goal is for you to make the top of your hair to be teased backwards. Continuing with the brush, tease the sides of your hair with your hands, smooth your crown and spritz heavily with any hairspray. Make sure you’re continuously brushing your hair and smoothing it over with your hands.
3. Gather Your Hair. After that, you need to gather your hair with both hands, placing it into a high ponytail. Make sure you take the time to smooth out all the bumps carefully while moving your hair up your crown. You can do this by flipping your hair upside down and gathering all your hair in one spot. Using a paddle brush may help you better for this step.
4. Secure the Bun. Now it’s time to secure the bun you created. You can achieve this by tying your elastic around the center of the circle or wrap your elastic twice around your hair then pull your ponytail half-way through the elastic.
- Pull some bits and pieces out from inside the half-ponytail so it’s hanging down. You may also want to leave out wisps around the nape of your neck.
- Secure your elastic around your hair tightly into a ponytail. Coil your hair around the base of your ponytail as if you were putting it in a ballerina bun. Flatten the bun to your head and secure with an elastic. Try pinning it with bobby pins when done well, this helps the look a lot. Pull out bits and pieces and shake your head until you achieve the desired effect.
- Pull you hair back into a ponytail, then backcomb it (hold the bottom of your ponytail and brush upwards towards the elastic) until it is quite fluffed up, then spray with some hairspray. If your hair is quite long, wrap it around the base of your pony a little, then secure it with an elastic; but if your hair is shorter you can just secure the bun with another elastic after folding the end of your pony back against the beginning. Then gently brush the bun to pull out a few tendrils of hair.
- Comb your hair back, and make a low bun. Then, make a bun out of the bun. Tie with an elastic, making sure the bunned-bun stays in place, and doesn’t tumble out into a ponytail.
- Make the left hand grab the pony, and let go of your right hand. Put an elastic (while still holding onto the ponytail with the left hand) around your right wrist. Lift your right hand so that its right by the ponytail. With your left hand grab the elastic on the right hand and pull so it wraps around the pony. Tug the elastic very far and tightly twist, so that the left hand will now be inside the elastic. With the right hand again, tug the elastic to the right so it wraps around but instead of what you did last time, stop in the middle of the dangling hair and twist. Now your right hand should be tight in the pony. With your left hand, grab the elastic off your right wrist and pull so that it stops at the messy buns end.
5. Accentuate Your Hair. Now you need to accentuate your hair style by doing several things. First, run your fingers through the front of your hair to loosen it from the elastic and add texture. You can also slide in a thin black headband two inches back from your hairline, and slide in a second thin black headband three inches behind the first one.
6. Use Hairspray. For the final step, mist your entire head with hairspray. It will make your messy bun last longer.
There you have it, six simple steps to making the Perfect Messy Hair Bun. Well, it’s not “perfect,” it’s messy! Enjoy.